Legal Metrology - Type Approval
Type Approval of Measuring Instruments
Every type of measuring instrument used for a prescribed purpose is subject to type approval, unless excluded by regulation. Instruments are examined and tested to ensure that they comply with the Act and is suitable for use for a prescribed purpose in such a way that it is expected to provide reliable measurement results over a defined period.
- On the successful completion of the evaluation a national Type Approval Certificate is issued, which means the instrument may be used for prescribed purposes.
- In addition, a Pattern Description document for every approved type of instrument is issued and is available to users and the public. It covers
- A description of the instrument and technical requirements;
- Restrictions on use.
- An index of approved instruments is also available on a database.
- OIML R documents are sourced to give guidance on international requirements.
REQUIREMENTS FOR TYPE APPROVAL SUBMISSION
- An application form must be submitted for each instrument.
- Functional description – A comprehensive functional description of the instrument must be submitted. In the case of a modification, a list detailing all differences between original approval and modified instrument must be included.
- Supporting documentation:
- Service manual
- Operational manual
- Calibration manual
- Components list
- Component layout
- Circuit diagrams
- Mechanical drawings
- Drawings and description of method of securing the instrument.
- Software - shall be assigned with a fixed version number. This version number shall be adapted in the case of every software change that may affect the functions and accuracy of the instrument.
- Embedded software - the manufacturer/agent shall describe or declare that the software of the instrument or module is embedded, i.e., it is used in a fixed hardware and software environment and cannot be modified or uploaded via any interface or by other means after securing and/or verification. In addition to the documentation required in 3 the manufacturer/agent shall submit the following documentation:
- Description of the metrologically relevant functions
- Software identification (fixed version number).
- Securing measures foreseen to provide for evidence of an intervention
- Sample of instruments for laboratory evaluation - An operational instrument shall be provided for the laboratory evaluation.
- Sample of the instrument for field tests - The installation of the instrument on-site and the provision of test equipment are the responsibility of the submitter.
- OIML Certificate of Conformity (CoC) - The following documentation (in English) is required when an OIML CoC accompanies the application for type approval:
- Copy of the OIML Certificate of Conformity.
- Copy of the associated OIML Test Report.
- Declaration of the authenticity of the OIML Certificate of Conformity and Test Report