ELECTROTECHNICAL protects the health and safety of consumers by administering compulsory specifications (i.e. regulations) for the safety of electrical products and components.
All new electrical components and products falling within the scope of a compulsory specification must comply with relevant prescribed National safety standards. Most compulsory specifications are aligned with international equivalents and implemented in a time frame appropriate to South African requirements.
Electrotechnical products falling within the scope of a compulsory specification must be approved before being offered for sale. Manufacturers and importers are inspected regularly to ensure ongoing compliance.
• Hand-held and transportable electrical power tools
• Electronic equipment
• Sound and communications equipment
• IT equipment
• Luminaires (lighting equipment), components and lamp control-gear
• Components of appliances such as switches
• Electric cables and flexible cords, including appliance couplers, cord sets and cord extension sets
• Cable for fixed wiring installations
• Medium voltage cables (up to 33 kV)
• Electric plugs, socket outlets and socket outlet adaptors
• Components of low-voltage fixed-wiring installations, including circuit breakers and earth-leakage protection units.
The compulsory specifications apply to products sold in South Africa (whether locally produced or imported)including those exported to other countries.
Download compulsory specifications FREE at